Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald MLC today announced that Former Maitland Goal will receive $524,341 alongside four other successful projects in the Maitland region that will receive funding from the NSW Liberal National Government for management of public reserves,
The successful projects to be funded in 2017/18 are:
- Old Maitland Gaol & Lockup - $524,341 to conduct a site infrastructure safety audit, roof repairs, high access (seismic) safety issues, structural integrity report and replace roller door
- East Maitland Gas Works - $26,620 for noxious and environmental weed control
- Morpeth Park Reserve Trust Incorporated - $8250 for noxious and environmental weed control
- Tenambit Reserve - $4070 for noxious and environmental weed control
- Crown Lands in Cessnock LGA - $3180 for control of weeds
The funding is part of the NSW Government’s 2017-18 Public Reserves Management Fund program which provides financial support to maintain the community’s highly-valued public assets. 440 projects will benefit from $15 million in the latest round of the Public Reserves Management Fund.
“State-owned public reserves play an important role in our communities and the NSW Government is committed to ensuring these reserves continue to provide social and economic benefits to the people of NSW,” Mr MacDonald said.
“This funding will directly benefit our community, boost our economy and contribute to the cultural, sporting and recreational life of our region.”
Maitland Mayor Cr Peter Blackmore said, “This is great news for our community. In particular, the funding for Maitland Gaol will help to progress works identified in the Maitland Gaol Maintenance Strategy, which will contribute to preserving this important heritage site.”
Minister for Lands and Forestry Paul Toole said $94 million has been invested over the last six years in the upgrade of showgrounds, the repair of buildings, bushfire hazard reduction, weed control and building new infrastructure.
“I want to congratulate all of our hardworking Crown reserve trusts on the great job they do managing and maintaining our public assets right across NSW.”
Scot MacDonald | 0408 450 032