Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald MLC has today announced that an electric bike share trial will be launched in Newcastle in early 2018 as part of the NSW Liberal National Government’s On Demand public transport trial.
The intelligent electric bike sharing service will use an integrated bike docking system and smart technology including GPS tracking and mobile device checkout system.
The bike share service will be made of 19 stations, 156 docking points and 100 electric bikes deployed in the Newcastle network.
“Locations have been specifically designed to create a bike share network as an active transport connection between Hamilton, Newcastle West, Newcastle East and Newcastle CBD. To help alleviate cases of misuse all bikes must be returned to a docking bay” Mr MacDonald said.
The On Demand rental service will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week with customers able to book the ebikes by using a website that is also mobile friendly.
Bookings can be made 15-60 minutes before arriving to the docking station and payments can be done by debit card, credit card and Paypal with the following fares to apply:
- $49 for a monthly membership that includes 60 minutes of hire daily. A waiting time of 10 minutes, after returning the bike to the station, allows a further 60 minutes of free hire.
- A concession monthly membership cost of $24.50 that includes 30 minutes of hire daily.
- $22 for a weekly membership that includes 30 minutes of hire daily.
- Casual hire rate cost $5.99 per half-hour and a deposit of $150 dollars is required.
- Discounted continuous usage options will be available for all membership categories.
“This is about personalising transport for our customers by providing a convenient new way to reach their destination quickly, safely and efficiently and at a time that suits them”.
The On Demand service will be provided by the private operator, BYKKO, Australia’s first provider of electric bike-share systems and a Newcastle-headquartered company.
“On Demand services offer a sustainable model of public transportation and electric bike share is an innovative approach to the future of urban mobility which is why I encourage all residents to take part in this unique trial that will help shape the future of transportation”.