Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald MLC and Minister for Veterans Affairs David Elliott today announced eight projects across the Hunter will receive NSW Government funding from the Community War Memorials Fund (CWMF) and Anzac Community Grants Program (ACGP).
The Community War Memorial Fund funds projects that protect and conserve existing war memorials across the state. The four successful projects are;
- Lake Macquarie City Council, Killingworth War Memorial, $10,000, Lake Macquarie
- Lake Macquarie City Council, West Wallsend War Memorial, $10,000, Cessnock
- Lake Macquarie City Council, German Trench Mortar Speers Point Park, $10,000, Lake Macquarie
- Raymond Terrace RSL Sub-Branch, Raymond Terrace War Memorial, $5,600, Port Stephens
Anzac Community Grants support local communities in raising public awareness of the Anzac spirit and the sacrifice of our servicemen and women. The four successful projects are;
- Kearsley Community Dawn Service Committee: Reflecting on the sacrifices of Kearsley’s service personnel, $1,550, Cessnock
- Cessnock City Council: Anzac Street Banners, $1,000, Cessnock
- Sugarvalley Neighbourhood Centre Advancement Group: Anzac Day Service 2018, $800, Cessnock
- Greta Tidy Towns: Greta Serviceman’s Sacrifice, $180, Cessnock
“These memorials have significant heritage value and meaning for their communities, with some commemorating conflicts as far back as the Boer War representing more than a century of architectural design history in regional NSW,” Mr MacDonald said.
Mr Elliott said the NSW Government was investing in communities across the state, ensuring locals have a place to commemorate the service and sacrifice of our diggers.
Mr Elliott also called for applications in the latest round of CWMF which is open until Anzac Day. “New grants of up to $10,000 are now available and I encourage all communities who believe their local memorial needs conservation or protection to apply,” he said. The next round of applications to the ACGP will open later in the year.
For more information including application forms visit https://www.veterans.nsw.gov.au/