Parliamentary Secretary for the Hunter Scot MacDonald MLC confirmed Nelson Bay Road upgrade is a priority for the NSW Government.
At the 2015 election the Liberal National Government committed $70 million for improvements on this key link.
As part of this commitment, upgrade work will soon start at the intersection of Nelson Bay Road and Medowie Road, marking a vital step in improving the safety and efficiency along Nelson Bay Road at Williamtown.
The works will include a double right turn from Medowie Road, west towards Newcastle as well as extended approach and departure lanes on the eastern side of the roundabout to improve roundabout performance.
The $6 million investment for the upgrade will also include planning for further work at the intersection of Nelson Bay Road and Lemon Tree Passage Road.
In 2016, RMS undertook a comprehensive corridor study for Nelson Bay Road. That study highlights a significant increase in freight and light vehicle traffic between Newcastle and Williamtown Airport.
The study shows a full duplication will exceed the funding set aside by the NSW Government. However, the priority will be to continue the duplication between Fern Bay and the Airport to address the significant increases in freight and traffic.
“The NSW Government will continue to deliver projects as part of the $70 million upgrade and I will be making representations to the Premier,Treasurer and Roads Minister regarding the full scope of works,” Mr MacDonald said.
“I anticipate working with Hunter Regional Organisation of Councils, Port Stephens Council, Chambers of Commerce, the RAAF and the community to build support and a strong case for the NSW Government to consider.”
The NSW Government is currently investing in a number of priority projects in the Hunter including:
- $391 million M1 Pacific Motorway Productivity Package
- $280 million Newcastle Inner City Bypass
- Newcastle Light Rail and the new Newcastle Interchange
- $120 million New England Highway Scone Bypass
- $12 million for replacement of the New Engalnd Highway rail bridge at Gowrie Gates
- $5 million for planning the M1 to Raymond Terrace upgrade
- $1.7 million for upgrading the M1, John Renshaw Drive and Weakleys Drive Intersection
- $5.4 million for Hunter Pinch Points
- $23.4 million for the 3.8km duplication of Tourle Street and Cormorant Road
Scot MacDonald | 0408 450 032